[ale] OT: Electrician needed

Dan Lambert danlambert at bellsouth.net
Fri Nov 10 14:33:02 EST 2006

The National Electrical Code (NFPA70) requires that the power to the
building or dwelling be able to be turned off with no more than six
breaker or switch operations.

In other words, if all the power can be turned off by opening no more
than six breakers, you are in compliance with the current code. If the
house was wired and inspected under a previous code version, it is
grandfathered in, unless you have to do something which alters the
installed distribution panel (such as replace it, or replace the bus
bars, etc.).

The device they were trying to sell you was a main breaker, which isn't
required unless you can't comply with the Code as it was when your house
was built, or if you have to upgrade the panel.

Dan