[ale] Thunderbird attahcements don't work, anyone else made it work?

Jim Sculley niceguyj at comcast.net
Tue Nov 7 21:00:22 EST 2006

Jim wrote:
> I've noticed that some attachments open inline, since I do have that
> option file/open attachments inline, but others don't and I don't seem
> to be able to associate file types with programs.
> When I go to preferences/attachments/view & edit view and edit actions/
> I get a screen that won't let me do anything.  The only thing I can do
> is close.  There are no extensions, file type or action in the table.
> Searhing doesn't do squat and clear just clears what I typed in.  There
> doesn't seem to be an "add action" option.

On my machine, there is one action in the list for TIF files.  So
something added an action there, but I don't know what.

mozillaZine has an article on the 'mimeTypes.rdf' file which is where
the actions are located:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/MimeTypes.rdf

And some support forum info:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=481811&highlight=view+edit+actions

Apparently, the easiest wasy to add an action is to send yourself a
message with the type of attachment you want to add.

Jim S.