[ale] Fedora Core 5 memory management?

J. D. jdonline at gmail.com
Sun May 28 19:19:39 EDT 2006

[--snip--]

>I suppose
> >the perceived speediness could be related to changes in the virtual
> >memory manager, but
> >probably not caching per se. Anyway, until you use up all available RAM,
> >the effects of
> >VM caching strategies would be imperceptible in terms of interactive
> >performance. I'd rather
> >suspect that FC5 might be tuning various hardware parameters (eg
> >hdparm-type stuff)
> >better by default than earlier versions.

It is peculiar. Stuff that runs from the old WDC WD300BB ide hard drive
aren't so spectacular but once it is in ram it is unusually fast. It is hard
to describe. I guess I expected KDE to take up more ram than it does. It is
certainly so fast because I am not swapping to disk but was just wondering
if anyone else had run into it. And if it is some tuneable parameter I would
like to have it turned on in other distro's too. ;) What is prelinking?

Best regards,

J. D.