[ale] OT: cool gadget

Sean Kilpatrick drifter at oppositelock.org
Sat May 27 12:24:17 EDT 2006

On Saturday 27 May 2006 08:19, Byron A Jeff wrote:
| Um, the Autozone will read your codes and give you a free printout.
| There's no reason for the average Joe to have an ODB II scanner.

Thanks for the tip about Autozone.  I didn't know that.

I'm all in favor of owning my own code scanner, but one that
provides useful data (including manufacturer specific codes) costs
about $300 -- and I don't want to own one that much!  The cheaper
code readers do not (as a rule) report all the secondary codes.

Better tip is to blow $30 on a subscription to Alldata.  That gets
you the shop manuals for your specific make/model/year. Then get the
codes read at Autozone and use Alldata to get a complete explanation.

Folks need to understand that many times engines will throw several
codes when a problem is sensed. Interpreting the combinations really
requires the shop manual.

Sean