[ale] Linux+Samba+WinXP with very large files

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Mon May 22 08:18:28 EDT 2006

On 5/22/06, Jim Popovitch <jimpop at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Dow_Hurst wrote:
> > From some Googling I don't think that you should have a problem as
> > long as you have NTFS on the WinXP client and the current stable
> > version of Samba on a 64bit enabled Linux filesystem.  You'd need a
> > kernel later than 2.4.19, but would have that in any current
> > distro.  It wasn't easy to figure out that Samba is just mimic'ing
> > the communication protocol so really the filesystem and OS file
> > size limits are what limit what you can do.  I should have realized
> > this but didn't think it through.  Now, the examples that I saw
> > posted were dealing with the 2Gb limit from older kernels.
> > Updating to a kernel later than what they currently fixed the file
> > size problem.  It clearly wasn't Samba at the time.  I'd definitely
> > look at XFS if you have good power protection and really large
> > files like 10Gb or larger.  It was designed for that kind of work.
>
> I hadn't thought about the 32/64 bit issue.  I was hoping to use some
> existing 32bit hardware, but I guess I can't now.
>
> Anyone know of a low-power no-frills 64bit capable motherboard+chip?
>
> Thanks Dow.

You don't need 64-bit hardware.

I've done a lot of  XFS/Samba/Linux testing on 32-bit machines.  It should
just work with large files.  I expect the same is true of any Linux FS that
supports large files.

For your testing you can leave Samba out of the equation.  It has supported
large files for at least a few years.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer