[ale] Converting 600 old laptops into K12LTSP thin clients for 1:1 ratio at a middle school

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Sun May 21 14:20:31 EDT 2006

James P. Kinney III wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-05-21 at 10:07 -0400, Jeff Hubbs wrote:
>> The only gotcha with old laptops is that many of their batteries will
>> likely have gone bad and are very expensive (think >$100) to replace.
>> So, having them run untethered may be a nonstarter.
>
> In fact, some laptop models won't run at all even tethered to power if
> the battery is bad.

Why is that?  I've never encountered such.  Every laptop I've seen will
operate with AC power with the battery removed.  Would they operate in
this way?

By the way, the general rule is 3 years life on laptop batteries.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little
security will deserve neither and lose both.  - Benjamin Franklin