[ale] Best MTA?

Richard Kolkovich sarumont at sigil.org
Thu May 18 14:16:09 EDT 2006

On 05/17/06 09:40, Jesse Guardiani declared:
> Jay Finch wrote:
>> Actually, I'm going to go against the grain and recommend Qmail.  I
>> migrated my server from Sendmail to Qmail (using the Qmailrocks page:
>> http://www.qmailrocks.org) and really like it!  While Qmail can have its
>> eccentricities, the Qmailrocks resource really helps getting the server
>> up and running, and is a great resource.
>>
>> But to each his/her own - Find the solution that works best for *you*. :)
>

> I'll throw in my 2 cents here. I built run, and continue to deploy Qmail servers.
> I use Qmail + SMTP AUTH + Vpopmail + qmailadmin + vqadmin + TMDA + ClamAV + custom filtering + RBLs.
>
> I have a love/hate relationship with QMail. I love it because it is *very*
> reliable, very efficient, and very flexible (if you know how to code). Also,
> vpopmail is available, and while I despise the vpopmail code (it's crap), the
> functionality is absolutely wonderful. Users can admin there own domains via
> qmailadmin, techs can admin all domains via vqadmin, and everyone is happy.

Those administration pieces sound very interesting and quite a bit
easier than adding virtual domains in postfix.  I currently use postfix
for my domains, but I am the only admin. for everything that I host.  I
will definitely be checking out qmail and related management tools;
thanks for mentioning them.

> I hate it because the licensing prohibits direct development of the source code,
> so all upgrades are performed through patches. I run 10+ patches on my
> systems, some of which I wrote myself.
>
> Eventually, I intend to switch to postfix, but only when I find something that
> will provide me to same level of web based configuration for users.
>
> Also, I currently run courier-imap with my qmail servers. Getting that to work
> is a bit of a challenge. But that problem might be solved using binc-imap. I've
> never tried binc though.
>
> So, in summary, I use Qmail because it can do things that postfix can't. I don't
> necessarily like Qmail, but I continue using it until postfix can do those things
> too.

For my part, I use postfix with courier-imap-ssl.  Using Amavis with
SpamAssassin and clamAV tend to keep my Inbox very clean.  If you are
looking to get rolling quickly, I would definitely suggest postfix, as
it is quite easy to set up and configure.  Else, try them all and find
the one that suits you best.   :)

- --

Richard Kolkovich
sarumont at sigil.org