[ale] Best MTA?

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Tue May 16 21:59:16 EDT 2006

Robert Reese wrote:
> What is a 'milter'?

According to Answer.com it's a male fish that is ready to breed.
   (Wow, I learn something new every day)  :-)

In Sendmail land, milter is the sendmail content management API that
allows for third-party integration (Virus scanning, SPF, etc.)  The
milter API integration point is at a deep and direct level of sendmail,
thus it is very optimized.  With other MTAs there are plenty of command
line interfaces but there is more overhead associated with one
application having to execute a second application in order to do extra
work.

I think that milter is short for Mail Filter.  You can find all sorts of
info on how it works here:
http://sendmail.org/doc/sendmail-current/libmilter/docs/

You can also find a list of existing milters here:
http://www.milter.org/

> (Sorry, one of those stoopid n00b questions, I know.)

There is no such thing as a stupid question, rather it is stupid to NOT
ask. ;-)

hth,

-Jim P.