[ale] PPP Question?? 'renew' message?

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Mon May 15 22:11:27 EDT 2006

Mike and Christopher -

Thanks for the inputs.

If I understood Christopher's man page, the 'kick-out' would arise from
our client not responding to a peer inquiry. That may be the direction the
transaction works, but I was told that _our_client_ should request a link
renewal, not that we should respond to a peer request confirming our
presence.

On Mon, 15 May 2006, Mike Harrison wrote:

> > includes the link's current assigned IP instead of a place-holder used in
> > the "request" packet. The 'kick-out' interval seems to be about half an
> > hour.
>
> Depending on what radius server and config your ISP is using,
> it may not matter, if they are 'kicking' you every 30 minutes
> no matter what your activity/packet xfer at the moment is,
> it's because they are freeing up phone lines..

I think it's a case of over-design rather than economizing. Most of the
clients on this net are supposed to be semi-permanent.

We respawn our 'ppp' script when the link drops and thereby exits 'ppp'.
This works but has the side-effect of sometimes changing our network IP,
which can be inconvenient.

Presumably others have solved this problem, but so far we've come up dry
at finding more information.

 - Mills