[ale] Debian package insanity

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Mon May 15 21:46:38 EDT 2006

On Mon, May 15, 2006 at 06:52:55PM -0400, Jim Popovitch wrote:
> Does the directory /usr/X11R6/bin exist?  If not, create that directory,
> then touch /usr/X11R6/bin/term and see if that helps.

Eureka!  Oddly enough, /usr/X11R6/bin did exist, but it was a regular
file.  I removed it and created the directory, and was then able to
remove xterm and fix the rest.  Thanks for the pointer!

> The Debian team has said for the longest of time that dselect was the
> only 100% assured product that fully worked with dependencies, apt, etc.

Not any more :)  The upgrade guide[1] recommends and assumes aptitude.

Thanks again,
Jason

1 - http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9