[ale] Best MTA?

Thomas Stromberg lists at stromberg.org
Mon May 15 21:36:09 EDT 2006

On 15 maj 2006, at 21.19, Philip Polstra wrote:

> On 5/15/06, Robert Reese <ale at sixit.com> wrote:
> I have FC4, SuSE 8.x, 9.3, and (sorta) 10, and rather old FreeBSD
> in the box (circa 2002).  I'm wonder what everyone thought of
> Sendmail, Postfix, QMail, and Exim, as well as any others you can
> think of?  I was going to use a LAMP server but was told to keep my
> servers seperate.  As this thread will surely end up helping
> others, please do consider posting responses geared for any
> technical level.  As for me, I'm a *complete* newbie, (as in "what
> the hell is *grep*????)
>
> My vote would be for Postfix.  That is what I use for my private
> domain.

I second the vote for Postfix being the easiest to work with. Since
you're coming from the non-UNIX world of mail servers, you may want
to keep in mind that these servers are only MTA's (Mail Transfer
Agents), and only serve SMTP and SMTPS. If you wish to have POP3 or
IMAP, you will need to build onto it with something like cyrus,
cucipop, courier-imap, etc. The advantage to the UNIX approach here
is that if you hate your POP3 server, you don't have to throw away
your favorite SMTP server. For IMAP, I like Cyrus best, but it may
also be tricky to get up and running. :)

-- a former zmailer,  qmail, sendmail, and postfix admin.. (and have
played with exim).

// Thomas Str?mberg
// http://toadstool.se/
// +1 678 773 9475