[ale] PPP Question?? 'renew' message?

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Mon May 15 21:08:30 EDT 2006

       lcp-echo-failure n
              If this option is given, pppd will presume the peer to
be  dead
              if  n  LCP  echo-requests are sent without receiving a
valid LCP
              echo-reply.  If this happens, pppd will  terminate  the
connec-
              tion.  Use of this option requires a non-zero value for
the lcp-
              echo-interval parameter.  This option can be used to
enable pppd
              to  terminate  after  the  physical  connection  has been
broken
              (e.g., the modem has hung up) in situations  where  no
hardware
              modem control lines are available.

       lcp-echo-interval n
              If  this  option  is  given,  pppd will send an LCP
echo-request
              frame to the peer every n seconds.   Normally  the  peer
should
              respond  to  the  echo-request  by  sending an
echo-reply.  This
              option can be used with the lcp-echo-failure  option  to
detect
              that the peer is no longer connected.

lcp-echo-interval 60 lcp-echo-failure 2

Send echo packet every minute terminate link after 2 failures.