[ale] disk drive lubricant

Dow Hurst Dow.Hurst at mindspring.com
Sun May 14 18:44:09 EDT 2006

Greg,
Not so urban legend as an DEC engineer told me, about a decade ago, that
a SCSI drive can lock up due to returning to room temperature for too
long.  He explained that the normal running state had the disk drives
warmed to a normal running temperature.  When a drive wouldn't restart
after a machine failure that he had fixed, he would try warming the
drive with a hairdryer and then try restarting the server.  I lived in
fear of our SGIs being down too long with the drives getting cold!!

I am interested in the lubricant vapor pressure used in disk drives.  If
you are correct that lubricant can get deposited on the platter surfaces
and heads during storage, then that is a disk design issue.  There
should be white papers from manufacturers on that topic available.  I
wonder if humidity, pressure, and temperature changes of the environment
where the drives are stored affect the lubricants?  Should they be
stored under nitrogen in a constant humidity environment.  At that
point, the durability of tape medium and storage costs should come into
play.

I think mirrored RAID 5 servers are a wonderful thing.  My personal
dream is to have two separate servers with multiple times the storage
capacity of the current amount of data that are mirrored to each other
with power protection and in separate locations with fat bandwidth
between them.  Then, the wet part of the dream is a third secret server
that only I know about in a hidden location that is the ace in the hole.
Dow