[ale] Gotta bea FAQ: Give ordinary users R/W/X access to VFAT partition

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Sun May 14 17:11:41 EDT 2006

Paul Cartwright wrote:
> On Sun May 14 2006 8:27 am, Geoffrey wrote:
>>> I'm running XP & SUSE 10.0 but my C drive is NTFS:
>>> /dev/hda2            /windows/C           ntfs
>>> ro,users,gid=users,umask=0002,nls=utf8 0 0
>>>

>>> is yours NTFS??
>> You do know that you don't want to attempt to write to NTFS from
>> Linux right?
>
> right, that's why I was asking.
> I always thought the default partition for XP was NTFS, or FAT. I'm not
> familiar with VFAT. Is there a way to change NTFS to VFAT?

Not that I know of.  Your best bet is to have an intermediary
destination that is formatted such that both Windows and Linux can write
to it, that would be fat, vfat, dos.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little
security will deserve neither and lose both.  - Benjamin Franklin