[ale] on-line storage

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Sat May 13 16:24:08 EDT 2006

Robert Story wrote:

> Note the second half of my suggestion - send it to a friend/relative. Then
> it's no longer local, and rsync over ssh keeps it up to date. Not that at
> least one of the mass-market NAS systems can be re-flashed to run Linux, so
> you can add you own interface and firewall restrictions.
>
> If you've got old hardware laying around, slap a new disk in, install Linux and
> save the cost of the NAS.

Dude, I appreciate your persistence at explaining the obvious. ;-)  Let
me be clearer:  I have a *business* need, not a personal need.  Friends
be damned, I have some liability concerns as well as the requirement for
professional support and dedication.  I know I can also burned CDs,
Tapes, backup to disks and store them in the dog-house if needed.... but
that wasn't the reason for my question.  I know about rsync, bacula,
amanda, and even fmirror and lftp.  I don't need re-explanations of the
obvious, although I do admire your persistence at detailing it.

> JP> I want to push files (via rsync over ssh, or other comparable means) to
> JP> a remote system in a robust secure datacenter.  A distributed system (a
> JP> bit here, a bit there) would be a plus as that lessens the concern for
> JP> local security.
> JP>
> JP> Also, the reason for desiring remote backup space is because i don't
> JP> have 180GB (or whatever) to "loan" out to get 1/10 back in return. ;-)
>
> Note that the ratio is just for the FREE plan. If you can pay, you don't have
> to offer any space in return.

Interesting.  Still, a mass-exodus of freeloaders could possibly wreck
havoc on paying customers' data.

> Heck, if you can pay, I've got enough space for you on my dedicated server.
> It's in a robust, well-connected data center, but it is on the net providing
> services, so I'd strongly recommend encrypting the data. Contact me off-list
> if you are interested.

:-)  What's your Support policy, where is your publicly posted privacy
notice, and what are your publicly posted rates?  What state are you
incorporated in, and what system certifications do your engineers have?
  How many people do you have on 2nd and 3rd shift each night, and what
is the average initial response time for your past 1 year of customer
opened trouble tickets?  Finally are escalation managers on call over
holidays and on weekends?

Maybe I'm not saying it the right way.  I would like to do business with
someone professional who is in the backup business, not just someone is
is trying to help a friend hookup.  ;-)

-Jim P.