[ale] Samba issue

Michael B. Trausch fd0man at gmail.com
Fri May 12 15:37:27 EDT 2006

On Fri May 12 2006 14:01, Jim Seymour wrote:

> Need a little help with SAMBA. I have a home network with a Debian Etch
> box as the server. I have two Windows clients connected to it. The
> problem is that the windows machines can only see the server and not
> anything else on the workgroup. Also I use Gnome and cannot see any of
> the windows boxes that are connected to it. Same with KDE.

Ahh, the wonderful world of Windows networking.  I've always had a hard time
with "Microsoft" networking - the SMB protocol - and getting
implementations to work.  Seems like every time I do it, I learn something
new.

The one thing that I can think of that might possibly be affecting what
you're attempting to do is the process of elections that are used.  You
want to be sure that the Samba machine is the master browser on the
network.  Here is a page with some information on this, though you can find
more information using Google, as well.

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/excerpt/samba_chap7/index2.html

Essentially, you want the Samba machine to report the highest Windows
version number on the network, and you want it to be set to the highest
level on the network, as well, so that the computers on the
workgroup "elect" it as the master browser.

If it's already the master browser, then there may be other issues that have
been brought up going on, or it could be something else entirely.  I do so
hate Microsoft things.

(Note, I've had Samba working a LONG time ago on a home network
with "workgroups," but I can also say I've had more success configuring the
thing to work as an NT domain with roaming profiles... you'd think that'd
be harder...)

	- Mike