[ale] Recommendation for off-line storage?

Jerry Yu jjj863 at gmail.com
Thu May 11 10:21:55 EDT 2006

actually, I took a side step here: compression as compress/gzip/bzip2/zip
the data before writing to tape. All this,assume the data is greatly
compressable. At times, I can compress 10G data to 2G or so.

Benefits can be achieved by writing pre-compressed data instead of
uncompressed data to tape, To name a few:
* reduce the size of on-line storage, delaying if not eliminating the need
to move some data near-line or off-line.
* reduce the size of backup (thus the media), expanding the option of
near-line storage of the backups.
* reduce disk/network bandwith needed to transfer data to tape & back
* reduce wear/tear on tape drive/media
* greatly speed up backup & restore process