[ale] md0 tasks taking 60-80% of CPU

JK jknapka at kneuro.net
Thu May 11 10:20:33 EDT 2006

Hi everyone,

I forgot the root password for my fileserver machine (which runs
FC2), so I booted it into Knoppix to "fix" /etc/shadow.  The fileserver's
/etc is on a RAID1 device, /dev/md0, so I manually assembled the
array using "mdadm" and mounted it. I was then able to reset the
root password.

However, as soon as I mounted /dev/md0, I noticed that the machine
got really sluggish.  I ran "top", and saw that md0_raid1 is taking
about 50% of the CPU, with md0_resync a close second at about
20%.  I left the machine booted into Knoppix overnight, with /md0
mounted, thinking that maybe it was doing some kind of RAID magic,
but ten hours later those tasks are still sucking down most of my
CPU cycles.  Surely this is not expected behavior?

-- JK