[ale] Changing UID of a user

Keith Hopkins hne at hopnet.net
Sun May 7 04:12:11 EDT 2006

Ryan Fish wrote:

> Is changing the UID of a user as simple as setting it to the new value
> in /etc/passwd, saving the file then using chown to update ownership
> on the affected files/directories?
>

> So far Google hasn't returned anything of value in my searches...

Hi Ryan,

  The biggest 'gotcha' will depend on how you store your passwords.  If
you do it directly in /etc/passwd (not recommended), then yes, you're
method should work fine and dandy.  If you store them elsewhere, like in
a shadow file (standard on most Linux distros), then those security
files also need updating.

  Try using the `usermod --uid` command instead of updating /etc/passwd
manually.

  Next will be any applications that depend on the UID in the password
file, instead of the username.  I can't think of any apps offhand that
do that, but you never know...

--Keith