[ale] OT: AMD Athlon 64

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at comcast.net
Sat May 6 14:31:47 EDT 2006

By the time the CPU clock speed has doubled, other things will have
likely changed, not the least of which being the chipset and the speed
of the RAM.  To the extent to which that is NOT the case, a CPU speed
doubling will have started to get choked by surrounding mechanisms whose
speed hasn't kept pace.  So, you can wind up *faster* than twice-as-fast
or *slower*.  Test, test, test with the load you plan to run.