[ale] Linux shut down log file question

Dow Hurst Dow.Hurst at mindspring.com
Tue May 2 00:09:41 EDT 2006

Tim,
I didn't see you get an answer:

When SUSE or most distro's shutdown, they are running scripts that
control services.  The services or daemons normally write to their own
logfiles or syslog.  Also, the kernel will output messages to klogd or
syslog.  klogd and syslog normally write to /var/log/messages.  That
file is where you will find 99% of what your looking for.  There is also
a /var/log/boot.log that SUSE has, other distros may or may not.  SUSE
splits logging up a bunch of ways and most is all in /var/log.  SUSE
even has a boot.omsg file for the previous boot, which can be very
helpful if you changed something to get booted.

dmesg is a command that will concatenate to the screen by default the
boot messages normally output to the console.  You can look in
/var/log/boot.log with a text editor like vi or redirect dmesg to a file:

dmesg > /tmp/mybootlog.txt

and then look at that in vi or "less"

Sometimes messages are produced on the console by a daemon that doesn't
write it to a log file or to syslogd.  Increasing the logging level of a
daemon or the kernel is possible.  You'd have to read up on the docs on
how to do that for any given daemon or the kernel docs for it.
Dow