[ale] Loading kernel modules at boot

Joe Knapka jknapka at kneuro.net
Sun Mar 19 16:39:03 EST 2006

Stephen Cristol wrote:
> I've installed the fuse kernel module [1] from source and would like
> to load it at boot time.
>
> I can successfully load it manually using:
>
>    sudo /sbin/modprobe coda
>
> Running "/sbin/modinfo fuse" gives me the following information:
>
>    filename:       /lib/modules/2.6.9-34.EL/kernel/fs/fuse/fuse.ko
>    alias:          char-major-10-229
>    author:         Miklos Szeredi <miklos at szeredi.hu>
>    license:        GPL
>    vermagic:       2.6.9-34.EL 686 REGPARM 4KSTACKS gcc-3.4
>    depends:
>
> Based on that, I added the line "alias char-major-10-229 fuse" to /
> etc/modprobe.conf (under CentOS 4.2). This has not had the desired
> effect. I am not sure if it had any effect. Typing either "dmesg |
> grep fuse" or "dmesg | grep char" produces no output.

Right, becaue the entries in modprobe.conf don't cause the
kernel to do anything at boot time. They tell the kernel
what module to load when something tries to use the device.

In general, there's no need to load modules at boot time.
If modules.conf (or modprobe.conf in this case, I guess)
is set up correctly, the kernel will automagically figure
out what modules need to be loaded, and load them as needed.

-- JK