[ale] X11 module probs with Mandriva 2005 update

aaron aaron at pd.org
Thu Mar 9 06:03:53 EST 2006

I'm trying to provide some long distance support to my daughter,
whose Mandriva system at college went wonky upon installing a
full system update from 10.2 to the "2005" release yesterday.

The system still boots and allows login, but is failing to bring
up Xwindows.  The errors from boot and her "startx" attempts
report missing X11R6 modules.

I have done a couple of hours of research and man reading around
modprobe, insmod, moddep and such, but I am not well versed with
these kernel level operations. I am hoping someone here might be able
to provide a few basic "step by step" pointers for properly locating and
installing missing kernel modules.

Much thanks!

peace
aaron