[ale] Routing predence question

Mills, John M. Mills.J at ems-t.com
Mon Mar 6 17:51:53 EST 2006

ALErs -

I'm setting up the routing on an embedded device and having some trouble
getting it to work correctly. The system is debian-derived, based on the
2.4 kernel.

My interfaces are 'eth0', served a DHCP assignment in our LAN, and
'ppp0', served by a remote peer. The 'ppp0' connection needs top
priority (default route), with 'eth0' not being routed beyond some LAN
domains. (A netmask of '255.255.240.0' works fine on'eth0'.)

The PPP connection is transient - in fact it's stopped and restarted
every few minutes to ensure it's still working. If I define 'eth0' in
'/etc/sysconfig/ifcfg-eth0' as 'BOOTPROTO=dhcp', I get a default route
through 'eth0' which is not overridden when 'ppp0' comes up. If I define
'eht0' as static, I'm restricted to a predefined MAC address.

How can I keep 'ppp0' as the default route as it comes and goes?

TIA for suggestions on getting this to work correctly.

 - Mills