[ale] Cobalt RaQ LCD and Linux

Chris Ricker kaboom at oobleck.net
Wed Mar 1 10:52:42 EST 2006

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006, Christopher R. Curzio wrote:

> Does anyone have any experience with non-Cobalt Linux on a RaQ, and
> specifically, getting the LCD to work? I have a fully-functional
> installation of Slackware 10.2 on my RaQ4i (running Linux 2.6.15.4), and
> the only thing left to get working is the LCD.
>
> I've been screwing around all day with everything I can find (the
> panel-utils package from the restore disc, lcdutils from Debian,
> cobalt-panel-utils from Gentoo), and have had no luck. The kernel is
> aware of the LCD being present insofar as /proc/cobalt/lcd (and
> /proc/lcd for that matter) can accurately output the contents of the
> LCD, but as far as actually writing data TO the LCD, nothing works. All
> of the tools I tried won't recognize that the device exists.

Hmm, it's been a long time since I've dinked around with Cobalts

Do you also have one of the patch clusters for Cobalt support included
in your kernel? I can't remember if you have to have the patches just to
get /proc/cobalt/* or not, but I do remember having to patch to get write
access to the lcd

Check out
<ftp://www.404ster.com/pub/gentoo-stuff/patches/cobalt-kernel-2.6.x/> for
a Gentoo-oriented one