[ale] small distro for old hardware + kids

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at comcast.net
Wed Mar 1 09:50:56 EST 2006

Gentoo would be just fine - and I've done it several times on junkers
all the way down to P/60 - but I have some caveats.

Compared to a Debian or Slackware desktop machine, you need somewhere
between 1GB and 3GB more disk space between /usr/portage and
/var/tmp/portage in support of Portage, the Gentoo build system.  You
can keep that at bay by culling things out of /var/tmp/portage and
/usr/portage/distfiles from time to time, however, you may still have
problems accommodating that extra disk footprint.  This is one place
where we could really use a Linux file system that supported on-the-fly
compression/decompression a la NTFS, especially since these files in
particular compress really well.

Seeing as you're probably stuck at 128MB, you'll want to put -Os in your
CFLAGS in make.conf and rebuild everything at some point after
installation.

-Jeff