[ale] WAY OT but a good cause

KingBahamut gwosbahamut at gmail.com
Mon Jun 19 16:22:44 EDT 2006

Xvoice (uses IBM's ViaVoice I think) is the only candidate Ive heard of.

As to its viability, Im uncertain.

Over on Malone (Ubuntu-ites will know of it) there is a push to port
Naturally Speaking, but thats probably just wishful thinking.

https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+spec/esj

On 6/19/06, Robert L. Harris <Robert.L.Harris at rdlg.net> wrote:

> Ok, ranters about being OT will be signed up for the montgomery ward
> mailing list!
>

>   My wife is working with a lady who is paralyzed from the neck down.  She
> can move her chin, eyes and that's about it.  On a ventilater for
> breathing
> even.  They are working on using a laptop with a voice recognition program
> for her.  It's VERY slow going but they are hoping to get where she can
> use
> emails, etc.  Yes, it is windows.  With this family I am not looking to
> convert them unless someone wants to donate a laptop so their won't be
> touched.
>
>   I'm hoping someone knows some good software that works with voice
> recognition for various home-based tasks.  I'm thinking of going with X10
> so she can turn her lights on/off as well as if there is an IR remote on
> the laptop so she can control her TV.  My wife is going to get me specs on
> the laptop to see if that is possible.
>
>   Whatever things I can come up with will need to be very time tollerant.
> Speaking using a ventilator is not rapid and can be error prone.  I'm
> hoping
> the technical community on this list can help out a really nice family to
> make this lady's life nicer.  Please no anti-windows fun today, this is
> not
> a place to work with a guinea pig who can just reformat or just take a
> break
> if the learning isn't easy.
>

> Thoughts, help?
>   Robert
>

> :wq!

> Robert L. Harris                     | GPG Key ID: E344DA3B
>                                          @ x-hkp://pgp.mit.edu
> DISCLAIMER:
>       These are MY OPINIONS             With Dreams To Be A King,
>        ALONE.  I speak for              First One Should Be A Man
>        no-one else.                       - Manowar

KingBahamut
http://doc.gwos.org - Definitive Ubuntu Documentation
"I could tell you the probability, but you wouldnt like it."