[ale] switch recommendations

Benjie benjie.godfrey at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 17:03:16 EDT 2006

What is your intended use and what is the budget.  You can always get
a catalyst, which in my experience has been the least problematic.  If
you are budget minded, or your needs aren't so great, Netgear makes
exactly what you are looking for.  I don't know the exact model
number, but they do have a manageable switch ( vlans, accounting, qos)
for around $700 and you can get them at Fry's.  Dlink probably makes
one also.  But in my opinion, Netgear and Dlink are low-end, and you
get what you pay for.  I have used Netgear switches extensively, and
they don't handle heavy i/o and some nics well.  They have not been as
good as the Cisco's for heavy file sharing ( NFS, Samba).  But for an
office setting, they work fine.

Benjie

On 7/25/06, Jim Popovitch <jimpop at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm looking for some recommendations for a new switch.  Here are my
> basic requirements/desires:
>
>     - 16 ports
>     - VLan support
>     - 10/100 (1000 preferred)
>     - GBIC interface(s) would be nice
>     - rackable
>     - RSTP
>
> Any notes on what to avoid or what to try?
>
> Tia,
>
> -Jim P.

drug, n: A substance that, injected into a rat, produces a scientific paper.