[ale] ASUS P5MT question

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Sat Jul 22 20:08:26 EDT 2006

I don't know of any consumer grade IDE drives that park the heads when
power is cut. The drive that got jacked is a Seagate Barracuda
(160GB). Not exactly a shabby drive.

I didn't say a single power off caused the bad sectors. I had to do it
many times, when I first loaded SuSE 10.1, until I figured out what
was causing the hangs. The filesystem on the drive was XFS. I believe
a journaling filesystem increases the chances of this occurring.