[ale] Hard drive error and hard drive fan

Andrew Swerlick raswerl at emory.edu
Mon Jul 17 16:37:53 EDT 2006

Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts wrote:
> How old is the drive?  I think smartd will tell you drive temp.
Its about 2 years old. Its a 4500rpm WD drive. (Here's its page at the
WD store http://www.westerndigital.com/en/products/products.asp?DriveID=38)
I stress tested it and it started acting up at about 46 C according to
smartctl. This is supposedly in the operating range of the drive, but
I'm positive temperature is the problem. As long as I have the case
cover off and a room fan on the drive, everything is fine, but once I
let the temperature start climbing it starts acting up.

> If you have a PCI slot or even an open slot on the back of the case you
> can install a slot fan.  I used one in my old AMD800.  It would suck air
> out of the case and out the back.
That might help, but I'm considering one of the fans or coolers that you
mount on a spare drive bay. The was the case is set up a PCI fan would
be pretty far away from the hard drive. Plus I've already got two fans
sucking air out the back.