[ale] Still can't get wireless to work.

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Wed Jan 25 09:05:05 EST 2006

Jim wrote:
> Geoffrey wrote:
>
>>Quick short suggestion to try.  Since you set it up manually in YaST,
>>set it up to 'start at boot' rather then 'manually.'  See my explanation
>>below regarding this.
>>
> Except it is lying.  Here is what the ifcfg-wlan0 file has in it.
>
> grep -i startmode *wlan0*
> STARTMODE='auto'

Same here.

<snip>

>>You will likely need to configure it manually.
>>
> Well, the driver module for Linux is ndiswrapper as I understand the way
> it works.  The actual drive is a Windows driver which Yast won't be able
> to install I don't think.
>
> Anyway, yast did install ndiswrapper:
>
> rpm -qa | grep ndiswrapper
> ndiswrapper-debuginfo-1.1-4
> ndiswrapper-1.1-4

Hmm, then you should be able to configure it from Yast.

>>>If I do a /etc/init.d/network restart
>>>
>>>  wlan0     device: Broadcom Corporation: Unknown device 4318 (rev 02)
>>>  wlan0     No configuration found for wlan0
>>>            Nevertheless the interface will be shut down.
>>>
>>This is telling you it sees the driver, but the Suse configuration files
>>don't exist.
>>
> When I did the manual install of the wlan0 device via yast ("network
> card"/"add" etc.) it wrote an ifcfg-wlan0 file into /etc/sysconfig/network
>
> linux:/etc/sysconfig/network # pwd
> /etc/sysconfig/network
> linux:/etc/sysconfig/network # ls
> .   config  ifcfg-eth-id-00:c0:9f:cc:df:15  ifcfg.template  if-down.d
> if-up.d    scripts
> ..  dhcp    ifcfg-lo                        ifcfg-wlan0     ifroute-lo
> providers  wireless
>
> That's what I grepped into above.
>
>>>  wlan0     device: Broadcom Corporation: Unknown device 4318 (rev 02)
>>>  wlan0     No configuration found for wlan0                       unused
>>>
>>Same as above.
>>
>>>Setting up service network  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  . done.
>>>
>>>So I went into yast and configured it maually, using wlan0, static-0 and
>>>module name of Ndiswrapper.
>>>
>>>ifup wlan0
>>>  wlan0     device: Broadcom Corporation: Unknown device 4318 (rev 02)
>>>  wlan0     Startmode is 'manual'
>>>
>>Change Startmode to 'start at boot' and restart networking.
>>
>>>And now I get this when I restart the network:
>>>
>>>  wlan0     device: Broadcom Corporation: Unknown device 4318 (rev 02)
>>>  wlan0     Startmode is 'manual'                                  skipped
>>>
>>Because you want to set it to start at boot.  This is confusing.  When
>>it's configured to start manually, it won't start with the network
>>restart.  If you tell it to start at boot, the network script will
>>restart it.
>>
> By the way, "start at boot" is deprecated to "auto" if I read the docs
> correctly.

Sorry, confusion there.  I was referring to the actual wording in the
Yast menu, I believe the option is 'at boot time' or something to that
effect.

Anyway, here is how I used to get my prism card running manually.  It's
obviously not the same card, but it will give you an idea of the
commands necessary to get the thing up:

ifconfig eth1 192.168.100.200 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
iwconfig eth1 essid here2there
iwconfig eth1 mode Managed
iwconfig eth1 ap 00:04:E2:80:FB:1E

Also, check out iwpriv man page.

Try getting it going strictly from the command line.

--
Until later, Geoffrey