[ale] Still can't get wireless to work.

Jim ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Wed Jan 25 07:46:50 EST 2006

Geoffrey wrote:

>Jim wrote:
>

>>So I tried it again.
>>

>Quick short suggestion to try.  Since you set it up manually in YaST,
>set it up to 'start at boot' rather then 'manually.'  See my explanation
>below regarding this.

Except it is lying.  Here is what the ifcfg-wlan0 file has in it.

grep -i startmode *wlan0*
STARTMODE='auto'

Also here is what it says now when I do the restart:
Shutting down network interfaces:
    eth0      device: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
    eth0      configuration: eth-id-00:c0:9f:cc:df:15                 done
    wlan0     device: Broadcom Corporation: Unknown device 4318 (rev 0done
Shutting down service network  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  done
Hint: you may set mandatory devices in /etc/sysconfig/network/config
Setting up network interfaces:
    lo
    lo        IP address: 127.0.0.1/8                                 done
    eth0      device: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
    eth0      configuration: eth-id-00:c0:9f:cc:df:15
    eth0      (DHCP) . IP/Netmask: 192.168.2.111 / 255.255.255.0      done
    wlan0     device: Broadcom Corporation: Unknown device 4318 (rev 02)
    wlan0     Startmode is 'manual'
skipped
Setting up service network  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  done
SuSEfirewall2: Warning: ip6tables does not support state matching.
Extended IPv6 support disabled.
SuSEfirewall2: Setting up rules from /etc/sysconfig/SuSEfirewall2 ...
SuSEfirewall2: Firewall rules successfully set

>If this does not work, repost.  We CAN make this thing work.  We might
>get into some fun with iwconfig and iwpriv, fun tools for sure!

>But was it installed via YaST or source?  SuSE will likely not find the
>driver if you didn't install if via YaST.
>
>You will likely need to configure it manually.

Well, the driver module for Linux is ndiswrapper as I understand the way
it works.  The actual drive is a Windows driver which Yast won't be able
to install I don't think.

Anyway, yast did install ndiswrapper:

rpm -qa | grep ndiswrapper
ndiswrapper-debuginfo-1.1-4
ndiswrapper-1.1-4

>>If I do a /etc/init.d/network restart
>>

>>   wlan0     device: Broadcom Corporation: Unknown device 4318 (rev 02)
>>   wlan0     No configuration found for wlan0
>>             Nevertheless the interface will be shut down.
>>

>This is telling you it sees the driver, but the Suse configuration files
>don't exist.

When I did the manual install of the wlan0 device via yast ("network
card"/"add" etc.) it wrote an ifcfg-wlan0 file into /etc/sysconfig/network

linux:/etc/sysconfig/network # pwd
/etc/sysconfig/network
linux:/etc/sysconfig/network # ls
.   config  ifcfg-eth-id-00:c0:9f:cc:df:15  ifcfg.template  if-down.d
if-up.d    scripts
..  dhcp    ifcfg-lo                        ifcfg-wlan0     ifroute-lo
providers  wireless

That's what I grepped into above.

>>   wlan0     device: Broadcom Corporation: Unknown device 4318 (rev 02)
>>   wlan0     No configuration found for wlan0                       unused
>>

>Same as above.
>

>>Setting up service network  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  . done.
>>
>>So I went into yast and configured it maually, using wlan0, static-0 and
>>module name of Ndiswrapper.
>>
>>ifup wlan0
>>   wlan0     device: Broadcom Corporation: Unknown device 4318 (rev 02)
>>   wlan0     Startmode is 'manual'
>>

>Change Startmode to 'start at boot' and restart networking.
>

>>And now I get this when I restart the network:
>>
>>   wlan0     device: Broadcom Corporation: Unknown device 4318 (rev 02)
>>   wlan0     Startmode is 'manual'                                  skipped
>>

>Because you want to set it to start at boot.  This is confusing.  When
>it's configured to start manually, it won't start with the network
>restart.  If you tell it to start at boot, the network script will
>restart it.

By the way, "start at boot" is deprecated to "auto" if I read the docs
correctly.

Thanks,
Jim