[ale] Printer troubles

Tim Watts timtw at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 24 22:59:42 EST 2006

Hi,

This is what displays when I go to localhost:631/printers

 Location: USB printer on /dev/usb/lp0
 Printer State: stopped, accepting jobs.
"Unable to send print file to printer: No such device"
Device URI: usb:/dev/usb/lp0

Does "stopped" mean disabled or just idle? /dev/usb/lp0 definitely exists:

crw-rw----  1 root lp 180, 0 2004-10-01 23:17 /dev/usb/lp0

When I click on the "Start Printer" link I get an Authorization Dialog but no
username/passwords seem to work (not even root!) How do I find out what a
valid login would be?