[ale] Wine

James Taylor James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
Fri Jan 20 10:01:15 EST 2006

Raw WINE is not really going to be the way to go if you want fairly seamless windows emulation.  You need a commercial implementation of WINE for that.
CrossOver Office from Codeweavers will handle almost any business related windows software on Linux, and if want to do gaming that requires DirectX support, Cedega from Transgaming Software fills the bill quite handily.
Both of these products are very reasonably priced and work extremely well.

Even with these products, I still need to open a windows session to support some of my customer environments, and for that VMware is essential.  It also comes in handy for testing, too.

-jt

James Taylor
The East Cobb Group, Inc.
678-697-9420
james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
http://www.eastcobbgroup.com

>>> cfowler at outpostsentinel.com 01/20/06 8:36 am >>>
I'm trying to solve a problem all here have had.  My wife finally got a
laptop of her own so I get to delete the WinblozeXP partition off of my
ZE1250.  It uses 15gb of space and is not needed.  I'm looking at my
options and I could use Vmware, win4lin, or Wine.  I want to try Wine.

I've installed it so I'm a little confused about actually where to
start. and how to begin installing programs.  I don't have a way to run
cmd.com or command.com because I don't plan on installing a windowsXP
base.  I just want to use wine on a laptop with a 30gb disk all given to
FC4.

I purchased a game called Mahjongg at a dollar store before Christmas
and I thought I would test with that.  It requires DirectX and I don't
think Wine will use DirectX.  I was able to install the program via

wine "d:\SETUP.EXE".

Then I ran it via:

wine "c:\Program File\MAHJONGG\game.exe"

I guess you have to remember the executable locations and then execute
them directly since there is what appears to be no menu system like in
regular windows.  Anyway I get a black screen then nothing.  Probably
DirectX.

This was just a test and the main reason for running Wine is to possible
run Act! 2005 on my laptop.  Maybe a few dollar store games like
Mahjongg and maybe a few dollar store kids games for my toddler.

Any pointers?