[ale] Asterisk Success

Tony Carter tcarter at entrusion.com
Sun Jan 1 20:30:47 EST 2006

> My intended use is to accept one T1 line from the telco and
> have the equivalent analog lines going to modems.  That means
> I will need at least 24 FX0 ports on that PC.  I intend to
> only use a handful of ATA adapaters.  I will not be dealing
> with a bunch of handsets attached to the PBX via VOIP.  This
> will be all analog connections to the PBX and then out the T1 line.

Gotcha. If your providing dial in/out type services then you don't need a 1
to 1 ratio. Can't get 64k from a pots line.

> My understanding with the hardware available is that you
> can't have 24 FXO ports on a PC because you may not have
> enough PCI slots.

Nor would you want 24 individual cards on a single PC. Digium (The creators
of Asterisk)
has what you're looking for:

TDM2400P 24-port analog board customizable in 4-port blocks with either FXS
or FXO. This board uses an amphenol cable (not included) to provide the 24
ports.

http://www.digium.com/index.php?menu=product_detail&category=hardware&produc
t=TDM2400P

-Tony