[ale] Ga tech

Vernard Martin vernard at venger.net
Fri Feb 24 17:23:02 EST 2006

Stephen Touset wrote:
> This is quite depressing, actually, seeing as I'm slated to start going
> to Tech for grad school next semester. I'd looked forward to going to GA
> Tech, due to its reputation as one of the best schools in the country
> for Computer Science. But now, hearing of Greenlea's termination and
> this new Dean, I'm really starting to worry.

You should worry. But keep your wits about you and you'll be alright.
Most masters students are paying their own way there so its a bit
different than for the PhD program. The PhD program has definitely took
some hits. They are restructing things for growth and some of the core
areas are getting pounded.

Its a great school for computer science *depending on what areas you are
working in*.

if you are in programming languages, run like hell. If you are into
distributed or parallel computing, its exceptional. If you are doing
User INterface or Virtual Reality or things like that, its absolutely
fantastic. If you are more hardcore rendering algorithms, then its kinda
lacking these days.

As with everything, you'll get more out of it if you know what you are
expecting. The days of everything just being fabulous are long gone....