[ale] Ga tech

Stephen Touset stephen at touset.org
Fri Feb 24 15:05:05 EST 2006

On Tue, 2006-02-21 at 14:06 -0500, Vernard Martin wrote:
> Braino420 wrote:
> > Hrm, I always thought the whole outsourcing thing was way overblown
> > and mainly hype. I didn't think GA Tech would change their whole CS
> > curriculum over it. What do you guys think?
> The current switch in curriculum is 100% the child of the new Dean of
> computing, Richard DeMillo. If that name doesn't sound familiar to you
> then let me refresh your memory. He was the CIO for HP during some of
> its less spectacular years.  He is hated by the faculty and is almost
> personally responsible for destroying the community feeling in the
> college of computing.
>
> And if you think I am being harsh, feel free to ask any graduate student
> or faculty member over there how they feel about him "off the record". I
> guarantee you'll get the same statements.
>
> I gave up on GA Tech's undergraduate CS program when he became dean. and
> that is a hard thing for me as I was  a "lifer" over there.  I'm very
> close to saying that the graduate program is beyond redemption as well.

This is quite depressing, actually, seeing as I'm slated to start going
to Tech for grad school next semester. I'd looked forward to going to GA
Tech, due to its reputation as one of the best schools in the country
for Computer Science. But now, hearing of Greenlea's termination and
this new Dean, I'm really starting to worry.

--
Stephen Touset <stephen at touset.org>