[ale] OT vision computers etal

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Thu Feb 23 11:48:20 EST 2006

On Thu, 2006-02-23 at 11:16 -0500, Jeff Hubbs wrote:
> Wouldn't you rather have machines that have commodity parts that are
> field-replaceable by pretty much anybody with the know-how?  I've seen
> so many situations where operations halted for a day or so just to get
> Dell parts even for machines that were under warranty, all due to the
> use of proprietary parts.

Even with commodity parts, a system on warranty repair from a non-local
company is often subject to an annoying downtime delay due to shipping
of replacement parts. The new parts _must_ go through "the process".

1. A local client had a nice Dell server (no. that's not an oxymoron)
that had a CPU fail. It was under warranty. The CPU was readily
available at several local vendors but we had to wait a day for the new
part to get FedEx'ed over. Meanwhile, the entire office was offline and
with no access to the common file storage area. Total cash out of
pocket: $0. Actual cost of downtime: $10,000 (20 people doing NOTHING
for one full day). Cost of new CPU: $400. Intelligent Management:
Priceless.

2. Another local client had a hard drive fail on a 3 month old machine
built by a local vendor (they advertise in LJ. Nice system). Gory
details of this client not having/using backups aside (He knew better.
We had spoken the day before the failure. I have been vindicated), the
drive had to be sent for data recovery. This meant scrapping the
warranty replacement on the drive since the dead one could not be
returned at the time the new one was acquired. New hard drive: $165.
Drive recovery: $0 (no charge due to no data recovered). Cost to
recreate lost data: $6,000. Cost of new backup system: $2500. Piece of
mind: $Priceless!

Moral: Warranties are crap. Use the manufacturers warranty as their best
guestimate of the anticipated lifetime of their product. Don't plan on
using the warranty option on a hard drive. By the time a device is
nearing the end of it's warranty period, it's replacement will no longer
be available anyway so why bother.

Unless it's a really crappy hard drive with a 90 day warranty.