[ale] Sendmail and Bellsouth

Paul Cartwright paul_tbot at pcartwright.com
Mon Feb 20 06:58:00 EST 2006

On Sun February 19 2006 8:16 pm, Jim Popovitch wrote:
> > so I can have postfix ?OR sendmail?
>
> Yes, most distro mgmt tools (for whatever reason) only allow one or
> the other. ?Some people will inquire as to why one would want both,
> and I'll leave that for others to ponder. ?If you have a command
> called "sendmail" on your system, check it to make sure it isn't a
> softlink to postfix. ?Postfix's origins are in being a better
> sendmail without a painful transition process. ?To that extent,
> postfix mimics a lot of sendmail commands, such as
> /usr/sbin/sendmail, etc.

PaulsPC:/etc/postfix # ls -l /usr/lib/sendmail
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 16 2005-10-25 14:03 /usr/lib/sendmail
-> ../sbin/sendmail

back to the original question. If I have postfix and NOT sendmail and I
want to do this:
> BellSouth network, then all you need to do is setup sendmail to use
> mail.bellsouth.net as a SMART_HOST in your sendmail.mc like this:
> ? ? ?define(`SMART_HOST', `mail.bellsouth.net')

do I need to install sendmail, OR can I tell postfix to do this by some
other variable in the main.cf file?

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800