[ale] Sendmail and Bellsouth

H. A. Story adrin at bellsouth.net
Sat Feb 18 22:24:25 EST 2006

NO,
Almost, Everyone blocks port 25 now.  And it is not a sendmail viruses.
It is spamers that are viruses.  I dare say even exchange would be
blocked.  If you have a dynamic IP and you have some made up domain,
chances are the receiver will block your incoming mail as spam also.  My
favorite lately is to send mail out on my made up domain name and then
having some other reply to address.  When users try to send mail to
<mydomain>.homelinux.org they get a bounce back.  The port is closed to
the outside world.

You need to configure sendmail correctly.    One part of it is to add
define(`SMART_HOST',`[mail.bellsouth.net]')
to /etc/mail/sendmail.mc
It depends on how your sendmail was complied and installed.  You will
more than likely need to change the domain name in the same file also.
This is so your mail goes through mail.bellsouth.net

And another suggestion is to use postfix(sp). as someone else on this
list will suggest. I am too lazy to switch.

Adrin