[ale] ghost for linux with LVM support

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 09:39:29 EST 2006

On 2/17/06, Trey Sizemore <trey at fastmail.fm> wrote:
> As the subject says, I'm trying to find an app like ghost for Windows
> in the linux realm (I'm familiar with g4l) that supports LVM.  The ones
> I've found so far choke on drives configured with LVM.  Anyone on the
> list found such an app?

Just "dd if=/dev/hda conv=noerror,sync | gzip > /mnt/target_file"

Unfortunately this captures the freespace as well as the live, but the
compression can be pretty on the freespace if it was never written to.

Obviously it also does not do any automatic partition resizing etc. on restore.

FYI: I also sometimes run the gzip output thru split to get DVD size
chunks, but I don't have the split args memorized.  If your curious I
have a script I run to do this and I can look up the full command for
you.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer