[ale] name resolution problem

Jim ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Fri Feb 10 17:24:46 EST 2006

I'm working on a POS FC4 system that seems to have a strange problem.
I'm calling getaddrinfo to obtain the IP address of a fqdn host.  It is
giving me the error "Name or service not known".  This function has been
working on others systems, but not this one.  nslookup and host work
fine, so I'm  at a loss as to where to look for the problem.  The host
is on the same subnet and ping and ssh find it with no trouble.  It's
just getaddrinfo can't find it.  I tried it with both PF_UNSPEC and
PF_INET, but neither worked.

          hints.ai_family = PF_UNSPEC;
          hints.ai_family = PF_INET;
          hints.ai_socktype = SOCK_STREAM;
          hints.ai_flags = AI_NUMERICHOST;

Anyone know what facility getaddrinfo uses that might be different from
host or nslookup?

Thanks,
Jim.