[ale] Boot failed

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Fri Feb 10 09:33:13 EST 2006

Raylynn Knight said:
> This is most likely your problem.  I'll bet the BIOS is trying to boot
> from one of the SCSI drives.

You might be right. It's booting now, but not in the way I'd suspect it
to. However, the addition of the SATA drives not long ago is likely to be
causing the problem...I gotta wonder if it's a firmware issue. None of the
upgrades on their site mention it, but still.

The boot sequence, before I started having problems, was:

1: CD-ROM
2: Floppy
3: IDE
4: Network

While troubleshooting the current issue, I switched it to:

1: CD-ROM
2: Floppy
3: IDE
4: SATA

So, early this morning after reading your email, I switched it to:

1: CD-ROM
2: Floppy
3: IDE
4: Disabled

Saved, and upon booting the bios prompted me for which device I'd like to
boot (strangely enough). Chose the IDE, and lo and behold it booted up.
So, for curiosity, I immediately rebooted....

"Boot failed"

Went into the bios, and for gits and shiggles I moved the floppy down in
the sequence:

1: CD-ROM
2: IDE
3: Floppy
4: Network

Now, so far (after about 4 tries before having to leave for work), it's
booting consistently.

I've never had a problem out of this mb, but up until a month ago I was
only running IDE drives. Now I'm running IDEs and SATAs concurrently.

Very strange.

If it continues to boot in it's current configuration, I'm happy. It's
just frustrating to not know the root cause, although I'm betting on a
flaky BIOS.

Thanks for all the help guys!

John