[ale] Boot failed

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Thu Feb 9 23:50:25 EST 2006

James P. Kinney III said:
> OK. Now it's weird. Have you swapped the cable?

Yeah, when I swapped drives, the cables went with them.

It's actually set up as:

/dev/hda1 (/boot)
/dev/hda2 (software RAID, LVM)

/dev/hde1 (spare)
/dev/hde2 (software RAID, LVM)

/dev/sda1 (software RAID, LVM)
/dev/sdb1 (software RAID, LVM)

Drives and partitions are exactly the same size. hda is a Seagate and hde
is a WD.

After trying grub-install /dev/hda had no effect on the boot, I swapped
/dev/hda with /dev/hde, reran an Ubuntu install so that what used to be
/dev/hde1 and spare was now /dev/hda1 and mounted as /boot. Same damned
error.

It just feels like it has to be the motherboard, but I could be very
wrong. I purchased the board not 4 months ago, so going to see what my
warranty options are. FYR, it's an Asus A7V600-X (socket a Athlon).

What a frustrating experience, especially considering sda and sdb are my
two big storage drives and the backup drives for the house.

Thanks for any insight or eurekas you might have!

John