[ale] VOIP and v.90 modems

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Thu Feb 9 19:31:57 EST 2006

Hi Chris,

The short answer on using a VOIP connection to supply a modem line is:
NO.

The long answer is: VOIP is for voice. If a packet or two arrive late,
so what? They just get ignored and life goes on. Human hearing will work
with these anomalies just fine. Modems don't work like human ears. The
only VOIP company to offer anything that works like a modem is Vonage.
They have a fax line. If what you need will be OK at 9600 or maxed at
14400, then it _might_ work.

Don't hold your breath on it though. Vonage techs will say they don't
support modem traffic over the fax lines.

You may need to look at a fractional T1 and a T1 card.