[ale] OT: Cisco 2900-XL configure another Vlan

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Thu Feb 9 17:10:14 EST 2006

A while back I got some help configuring a VLAN on a switch.  Now I need
to configure another VLAN but the commands seem to be different.  IOS
versions are different.

Switch#show vlan brief
VLAN Name                             Status    Ports
---- -------------------------------- ---------
-------------------------------
1    default                          active    Fa0/1, Fa0/2, Fa0/3,
Fa0/4,
                                                Fa0/5, Fa0/6, Fa0/7,
Fa0/8,
                                                Fa0/9, Fa0/10, Fa0/11,
Fa0/12,
                                                Fa0/13, Fa0/14, Fa0/15,
Fa0/16,
                                                Fa1/1, Fa1/2, Fa1/3,
Fa1/4,
                                                Fa2/1, Fa2/2, Fa2/3,
Fa2/4
1002 fddi-default                     active
1003 token-ring-default               active
1004 fddinet-default                  active
1005 trnet-default                    active

Now I try to configure a new vlan

Switch#configure terminal
Enter configuration commands, one per line.  End with CNTL/Z.
Switch(config)#vlan 500
                ^
% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

Switch(config)#

Here are the instructions I'm referencing:

http://www.ale.org/archive/ale/ale-2004-12/msg00636.html