[ale] Cleaning LCD's

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Wed Feb 8 21:14:05 EST 2006

On Wed, 2006-02-08 at 19:47 -0500, Christopher Fowler wrote:
> I need to clean the LCD on my laptop and I need to clean it good.  What
> is the best method that will not damage it?

Use a can of air to blow off any dust and grit. Dampen an extra clean
cotton, terry cloth towel with distilled water. The towel should be wet
but not dripping. Lay the laptop flat and open the screen all the way so
it is also flat. Lay the towel on it and let it rest for about a minute.
This will loosen any stuck stuff (sneeze spray, soda splatters, etc).
Now for the hard part. In one motion, you need to wipe the entire screen
in a "lifting" motion. Think of rolling the towel so that a clean
portion of the towel is presented to the receding dirt line. Any part of
the towel that has touched the dirty screen should not touch the screen
again.

Finish up with a commercial screen cleaning pad to remove any oily
fingerprints.