[ale] USB Multi-card reader at Fry's

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Tue Feb 7 08:18:46 EST 2006

I bought a USB multi-card reader at Fry's.  It is the one they
advertised for $4.99 in the recent circular and by default it will not
work with Fedora Core 3.  But will with FC4.

Here is what I did.

1.  Download the latest update of the Kernel source
    for FC4 on my FC3 system

2.  Read the FC3 release notes on how to create the
    source that can be compiled like the original.  Created
    the tree in /usr/src/redhat/BUILD

3.  Copied my .config over

4.  Make the kernel, modules

5.  Installed kernel and modules

6.  Rebooted

Now I'm running

[cfowler at shuttle ~]$ uname -a
Linux shuttle.linxdev.com 2.6.15-prep #1 Mon Feb 6 21:16:27 EST 2006
i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux

Which is the kernel source from FC4 on my FC3 system.  USB card reader
works just fine.