[ale] NAS ( + USB, 1394, etc.)

Christopher Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Mon Feb 6 14:30:06 EST 2006

I have 2 devices that give USB access to 3.5" drives.  One is a cheap
aluminum enclosure I bought off ebay about 2 years ago.  The second is a
USB -> IDE conenctor that came with a power cable.

I just tested the second and to transfer roughly < 13GB took:

real    67m16.167s
user    0m1.566s
sys     1m40.466s

I'm running FC3.  My original problems were on SuSE 9.  While I agree
that chipsets are usually the main culprit it also seems like Linux is
getting even better.

My only gripe about this setup is size.  I need to carry a solution in
my backpack so I'll be looking for a 2.5" 80GB that can get is power off
USB and be extra slim.  eBay is a good place for that.