[ale] Linux for Beginners

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu Feb 2 09:49:06 EST 2006

Cliff Stoll wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am totally new to linux. I just installed a dual-boot of Suse 9.2 the
> other day. I must say, it's a nice change of pace from the usual windows
> releases I've been so used to (especially my new favorite game Super Tux).
> I'm looking for some good resources for learning the basics. Most
> specifically the terminal commands and getting wireless cards (d-link
> dwl-650) running under Suse. I'm going to be heading out to the SE meeting
> tomorrow, and I look forward to meeting you all there!

Welcome.  Installing a dual boot is a nice start for a newbie. :)  Even
if Suse makes it very easy, it's kinda scary the first time around.
Eventually, you'll come around to feeling satisfaction when you blow
that Windows partition away!  In all ways, google is your friend.
Here's some links I just pulled up.

As for command line tools, start with bash and a nice tutorial, here's a
few links:

http://linux.org.mt/article/terminal
http://steve-parker.org/sh/sh.shtml
http://tiger.la.asu.edu/bash_tutorial.htm